How We Test the DNA Kits
Taking at-home DNA tests is safe, easy, and totally non-invasive. We actually take the tests ourselves and document each step of the process and the findings shared with us:
- Doing the research. We learn everything we can about the company, browse customer reviews, and sometimes even speak with the CEOs themselves.
- Taking the test. As soon as the test kit arrives, we submit a saliva sample or cheek swab (sometimes a finger prick), just like you would do.
- Reading our results. In about two to six weeks, we interpret our online results. We make note of what’s helpful and informative…and what’s not.
- Working with customer support. As part of our reviews, we reach out to the company’s customer support team to see how helpful and friendly they are.
- Analyzing pricing. Is this DNA kit worth its price tag? We examine what you get (and what you don’t) and how it compares price-wise to similar services.
- Summarizing our experiences. We share everything we learned, including the pros and cons, standout features, pricing, and more. We also do comparison reviews and provide “best of” lists so you can make a confident decision.
Read our real and honest reviews so you know you’re picking the right test for you.
What DNA Tests Can Tell You
Although more than 99.9% of human DNA is the same in all people, there are still millions of differences between your genome and anyone else’s – even your siblings, unless you’re an identical twin! These differences are what make us each unique and can provide a wealth of insight.
“Discover Your Past”
Interested in discovering your ethnicity? DNA testing can give you percentage estimates of your ethnic makeup and the geographical regions each ethnicity comes from. Find out if you have Jewish, Aboriginal, Asian, African, or Native American ancestors. Uncover information about your ancient ancestors via maternal and paternal lineage testing, and map those ancestors’ past migration routes.
Learning unique features of your DNA can help you live your best life. You can unlock secrets to losing weight, solve your nutritional deficiencies, and tailor fitness plans to help you achieve lasting results. You can also use genetic health information to prevent or delay disease progression.
Discover connections you didn’t know you had! Use DNA testing to find out who shares biological relationships with you. Build an online, shareable family tree to uncover living family members around the world. This has reconnected thousands of biological relatives following adoptions or other separations.